Ham ‘n’ Noodle Hot Dish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni or medium noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and salt until cheese is melted.
- Add the ham, noodles and peas. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; add bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 461 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 1581mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 9, 2016
Kid friendly! Worried that it only said 4 servings. However, very hearty portions with a lot of leftovers. Made a great dinner after the Holidays. Used leftover ham and last of processed cheese. Equally good eaten straight from stove or after baked in oven with crunchy topping. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I appreciated the ability to use ingredients I had on hand without making trip to store.
May 8, 2014
Delicious - used real instead of processed cheddar and just over 1 c. of chopped ham. I think it would be even better with a bit of grainy mustard - next time I'll add about a tbsp to the cheese sauce.
Apr 15, 2013
I'll just bet this dish would also be delicious using chicken. Plan to try very soon.
Mar 16, 2013
Always a go-to recipe for our family. Love it!
May 18, 2012
This is a great recipe. Never again will I make ham & eggs or ham omelet with my leftover ham. I used fat free milk, low fat shredded cheddar & broccoli instead of peas. I also used panko bread crumbs instead of regular dried bread crumbs. Delicious!
Oct 29, 2011
I made this using left over baked chicken and it was terrific! Everyone loved it and I doubled the recipe to give one away. I used a mexican mix cheese and loved it!
Apr 26, 2011
Very good and easy. I used egg noodles and cheddar cheese instead of American. Didn't have enough peas on hand, so used 1/2 cup peas and 1/2 cup chopped red pepper. Added the ham, frozen peas, and pepper to the noodle water before draining - heats up those ingredients to shorten the baking time.
Oct 26, 2010
Entire family loved this recipe. I added an extra cup of skim milk to the sauce because it was being heated the next day. This kept it moist and not too saucy. We skipped the peas because my grandchildren won't eat them and topped it with grated tex-mex cheese instead of the bread crumbs. For texture next time we will be doing the bread crumbs. This recipe has definitely been added to my "Tried & True" and will be served every time we have leftover baked ham. Would rate this 5 star but the stars aren't showing up.
Jan 29, 2009
I love this recipe! I had to double this recipe to make enough for my family. I did not add anymore ham and used elbow noodles instead. This is a great recipe for homemade Mac and Cheese! Very easy and so good..thanks for this one.