Ham ‘n’ Cheese Melts
These one-of-a-kind sandwiches are a new twist on traditional ham and cheese sandwiches without a lot of extra work. Prepared spaghetti sauce provides a tasty dipping sauce.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) fully cooked ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, warmed
- On four slices of bread, layer with provolone cheese, ham, then cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, then into crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet over low heat, cook sandwiches in butter for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 511 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 1272mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cheese Melts in Country Pork