Ham ‘n’ Cheese Biscuit Twists
"I like to serve these tasty twists for lunch with split pea or vegetable soup and a fruit salad," says Marie Kramer, Kirkwood, Missouri. The cheese-enhanced biscuits filled with homemade or deli ham salad also make great snacks.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ham salad or 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) deviled ham spread
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Spread ham salad over half of dough. Fold dough over to form a 5-in. x 6-in. rectangle; seal edges with water. Cut into six 1-in. strips.
- Twist strips and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 480 calories, 27g fat (12g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1035mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cheese Biscuit Twists in Taste of Home August/September 2002