Ham ‘n’ Broccoli Triangles
Rebekah Soued from Conifer, Colorado shares these light and flaky pastry triangles. "I usually use left-over spiral ham for the centers," she says. "With the creamy white sauce and a sprinkle of parsley on top, they are a sure-pleaser."
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning, optional
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- SWISS CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, broccoli and mozzarella cheese. In a small bowl, beat eggs; stir in the cream, basil, pepper, Italian seasoning if desired and cayenne. Stir into ham mixture; set aside.
- On a work surface, carefully remove one sheet of phyllo dough and fold in thirds lengthwise (keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out). Lightly brush phyllo strip with butter. Place a rounded tablespoonful of filling in lower right corner of strip. Fold dough over filling, forming a triangle. Fold triangle up, then fold over, forming another triangle. Continue folding, like a flag, until you come to the end of the strip.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets and filling. Place triangles on ungreased baking sheets. Brush with butter. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth; add milk and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in Swiss cheese until melted. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Serve with triangles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 125 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Ham & Broccoli Triangles with White Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.