Ham Loaf with Golden Sauce
This ham version of meat loaf was one of my mother's standbys, and it's now a main dish my husband and I enjoy often. The sauce, which has a nice hint of sweetness, reminds me of the color of the sky when I enjoy a golden Southwestern sunset from my kitchen window!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Pack into a 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and translucent. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and serve sauce over it.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 398 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Ham Loaf with Golden Sauce in Country Extra May 1993