Trudy Gernert of Seymour, Indiana sends her version of kabobs that include lots of flavorful ingredients like tomatoes, pineapples, and sweet potatoes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 pound cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1-in. slices
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups pineapple chunks
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and brown sugar. Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add ham and sausage. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Place sweet potatoes and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and discard marinade. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the ham, sausage, sweet potatoes, green peppers, onion, tomatoes and pineapple.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8-10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, turning and basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 281 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1074mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Ham Kabobs in Simple & Delicious January/February 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.