Ham, Egg & Cheese Casserole
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound sliced smoked deli ham
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14x10-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; build up edges slightly.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mustard, pepper, salt and nutmeg. Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Place a third of the ham over the dough; top with 1 cup sauce and 2/3 cup Swiss cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown.
- Using the back of a tablespoon, make six indentations in top of casserole to within 2 in. of edges. Carefully break an egg into each indentation.
- Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. (If desired, bake an additional 5 minutes for firmer eggs.) Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 405 calories, 23g fat (12g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 992mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Mar 12, 2014
This casserole is very tasty, but I agree that there was more sauce than I preferred. I used skim milk and cheddar cheese instead of Swiss. I was not sure about the frozen bread dough. When it said "thawed", I didn't know if should just thaw or actually be allowed to rise. I let it thaw in the refrigerator and then let it rise a little before using. It seemed a little tougher than I thought it needed to be, but that may be because it should have been treated differently.
Jan 1, 2014
Great flavor. I only made half of the cheese sauce. Anymore than half would have been too saucy. This was served to six and everyone had an egg. This reminded me of a pizza version of a fancy egg Mcmuffin.
Dec 6, 2013
Wonderful flavor, and great presentation. I put aluminum foil on top when the eggs were baking to make sure the egg whites cooked till no longer runny. There seemed to be a lot more sauce than needed, but I didn't let it go to waste, and with the extra, served it over biscuits the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.