Ham Corn Au Gratin
I found this recipe in one of my mother's cookbooks from back during the Depression. It's still as satisfying today as it was back then.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 1-1/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 7 crackers)
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and pepper until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer the ham, corn, green pepper and onion. Pour sauce over top. In a bowl, combine the cheese, crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 552 calories, 33g fat (17g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Ham Corn Au Gratin in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.