Ham & Cheese Grits Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup Southwestern-style egg substitute
- 5 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, stir a small amount of hot grits into egg substitute; return all to pan, mixing well.
- Add process cheese, milk and butter; stir until cheese is melted. Stir in ham, green onions and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 284 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1212mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
May 10, 2017
This was really great! The whole family loved it! Easy to put together and yummy! Thanks for sharing!
Mar 29, 2017
deearoberts - 3 x lg eggs is the answer.I omitted the salt & added extra pepper, used unsalted butter & reduced sodium broth. Come on people THINK! Ham is salty, end of story. Omit the salt if you want it less salty.
Mar 27, 2017
For conversion, use one large egg for each 1/4 cup egg substitute. This particular recipe will use two large eggs.
Mar 27, 2017
It's delicious! The recipe only calls for 1/4 teaspoon of salt; perhaps those who found it too salty used a very salty ham?
Mar 27, 2017
If I wanted to use real eggs, how many would I use?
Jun 5, 2016
These grits are great. I most often leave out the ham and make shrimp and grits, with the shrimp cooked separately.
Nov 6, 2014
Wonderful! Best grits casserole I've ever tasted. Good amount of spicy!
May 5, 2014
Excellent breakfast dish! Great way to use up leftover Easter ham! Now I did use real cheese mild cheddar instead of the fake cheese and fat free milk. I did not have southwest type of egg substitute so I used plain egg substitute and added two tablespoons of salsa. This recipe cuts in half very well for a smaller crowd.
Apr 21, 2014
This was extremely good, very pleasing to the palette! I like the green onion addition with the crush red pepper flakes. I added some Parmesan to give it a little more kick as well.
Feb 9, 2014
This was pretty good but a bit too salty for me (and I love salty foods!). Could have used more veggies, such as bell peppers, as another reviewer suggested.