Ham & Cheese Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Minced chives and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place potatoes and baking soda in a large saucepan. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk and reserved potato water. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in ham and potatoes; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with chives and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 366 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 888mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2019
I made this with leftover ham. It was very good. I thought the amount of cheese was just right.
Apr 13, 2018
This soup was very good, however I added double the amount of each cheese. Great for leftover ham. It will warm you up on a cold day.