Ham Cheddar Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1 inch)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- Place first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir in ham and potato mixture; heat through over low heat.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 429 calories, 28g fat (16g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Nov 17, 2017
My favorite ham chowder now. I'll definitely be making this for the long winter months to come. I may have added a little more cheese than the recipe called for.
Oct 22, 2017
Soups are my go-to meals in the winter time. This one will be in the rotation. Thick, creamy and comforting!
Oct 3, 2012
I would make this again. It did get really thick at end so I added half n half. Whole family liked this. Which is very rare!!
Jan 21, 2012
I have made this recipe many times and it is a favorite, especially with my husband. I usually cut the cheese down to 2 cups and cut the milk down to 3 cups. I put this together a bit differently in that I don't drain the vegetables and I eliminate the butter (and the step of making the white sauce) by mixing the flour with the milk and stirring it into the boiling vegetables. I shake the flour and milk together in one of those Tupperware® shakers. If preferred, one could substitute 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch for the flour.A very hearty, delicious soup. One could accompany it simply with bread or crackers and maybe some raw vegetables.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.