- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1 inch)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- Place first four ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour and pepper until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Stir in ham and potato mixture; heat through over low heat. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forHam Cheddar Chowder
"I would make this again. It did get really thick at end so I added half n half. Whole family liked this. Which is very rare!!"
"I have made this recipe many times and it is a favorite, especially with my husband. I usually cut the cheese down to 2 cups and cut the milk down to 3 cups. I put this together a bit differently in that I don't drain the vegetables and I eliminate the butter (and the step of making the white sauce) by mixing the flour with the milk and stirring it into the boiling vegetables. I shake the flour and milk together in one of those Tupperware® shakers. If preferred, one could substitute 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch for the flour.A very hearty, delicious soup. One could accompany it simply with bread or crackers and maybe some raw vegetables."