- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- Assorted crackers
- Place ham and onion in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add cheddar cheese; pulse until blended. Add cream cheese; process until smooth.
- Shape cheese mixture into a football; press pecans into cheese mixture. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Cut cheese into strips; arrange over top for laces. Serve with crackers. Yield: 4 cups.
Reviews forHam-Cheddar Cheese Ball
"Sounds great!!! Definitely will be making it for my ball party this coming Sunday!To Heather - Jan 23 asked for suggestionsPs - for those that can’t have nuts.I will cover my cheeseball with Ritz crackers or pita crackers. ( food processor till crumbling , not too fine.Elaine."
"Have never made it with those French's Dried Onions but give it a try. They come in a can on our canned vegetable aisle. Give them a little "crush" and sprinkle them over your football shape."
"Anyone have a suggestion as to what I could substitute for the pecans all over the cheeseball/football? I have to be careful with any nuts, so was wondering what other kind of crunchy thing I could put all over the cheeseball???"
"Superbowl isn't so popular in Guadalajara, Mexico, where soccer is king. I made this today, leaving out the ham for our vegetarian guests, but found it a bit bland. So we tossed in some canned chipotles and fresh cilantro for zip, processed it all and shaped the football. The younger crown ate it with corn ships and absolutely loved it! Great idea, fun recipe. Thanks!"
"This is very tasty. I served to a few guys watching a football game. They loved it! I would definitely make it again. Might add a little kick to it like worcheshire sauce next time. Pecans were a nice addition."