Ham, Beef and Bacon Soup
I invented this recipe one evening when I wanted to serve soup, but had no time to shop—so I used whatever I had on hand. When my husband said, "Please make it again", I hurriedly wrote down the ingredient list!—Mrs. J.C. Mantel, Orange City, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef, browned and drained
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (20 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 cups tomato juice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine beef, bacon, ham, beans, onion, mixed vegetables, broth, soup, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. If a thinner soup is preferred, stir in tomato juice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 175 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1057mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Ham, Beef and Bacon Soup in Country Ground Beef
Jan 10, 2008
I loved this recipe. I did customize it by adding a smidge of brown sugar along with the white sugar. The results were delicious!A hearty recipe my whole family loved and it is now a part of my menu.