Ham Balls with Brown Sugar Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup crushed Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1. In a bowl, combine the pork, ham, eggs, milk and cereal; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. to 2-in. balls; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Pour over ham balls. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until browned. Yield: 8 servings.
3 each: 461 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 801mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Ham Balls with Brown Sugar Sauce
"This is my most requested recipe from my friends and family."
"This was a bit too sweet for my taste. I made them last night, and didn't really care for them. But, this morning I ate one cold and thought they actually would be a nice addition to an appetizer table, served with mustard for dipping. Maybe next time I'll even add a couple of drops of liquid smoke to the sauce."
"My family loves this recipe. It's very good company food. Everyone wants the recipe."
"My son was recently diagnosed with food allergies so I am always looking for creative recipes to keep him satisfied. I substituted a flax seed egg substitute for the eggs, sweetened almond milk for the milk and Rice Chex cereal for the Shredded Wheat cereal. My whole family LOVED this recipe. I had to set out 5 ham balls so that I would have some to pack in his school lunch box the next day. This is definetly a keeper!! Thanks so much Ellen."
"This is the most-requested recipe I have ever made, everyone just loves it."
"This is a family favorite and has been for several years, since I first saw it in TOH. Also is great when shaped into a loaf. The shredded wheat is the key difference in this recipe."
"This was one of the first recipes that I tried from TOH years ago and it has been a family favorite since! easy to prepare & tastes delicious!"