Ham and Wild Rice Salad
We cut the grass on our farm only once a year. That's because we want our aquatic grass to produce nutty, tasty grains of wild rice. I look forward to my wife, Marian, making this salad.—Art Hedstrom, St. Paul, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1-1/2 cups hot water
- 4 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves and toasted pecan halves
- In a large bowl, soak the raisins in water for 5 minutes; drain. Add rice, ham and onions. In a small bowl or jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; mix well. Pour over rice mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve on lettuce; garnish with pecans.
Originally published as Ham and Wild Rice Salad in Taste of Home December/January 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.