Ham and Swiss Stuffed Chicken Breast with Mustard Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 + standing
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice (1 ounce) Swiss cheese
- 2 slices (3/4 ounce each) deli ham
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- MUSTARD SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch salt
- Hold sharp knife parallel to cutting board and along one long side of chicken breast; cut almost in half, leaving breast attached at one side. Open breast so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, lightly pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut slice of cheese in half. Wrap each half in one slice of ham, folding ham over cheese to fully surround cheese. Place one ham bundle on each chicken breast. Tuck the narrow end of the chicken in towards the center for even cooking. Fold the chicken breast over the ham bundle. Sprinkle thyme over the top of each chicken breast.
- Put stuffed chicken breasts into a Medium or Large Ziploc® Zip 'n Steam™ Bag, with the thickest part of the chicken toward the outer edges of the bag. Seal bag and place in microwave.
- Cook on full power for 5 to 5-1/2 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. If needed, continue microwaving at 30-second intervals until chicken tests done. Allow bag to stand 1 minute before handling. Meanwhile, for mustard sauce combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Carefully open bag. Use spatula to remove chicken from bag. Serve with mustard sauce.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 27, 2015
I prepared this recipe tonight and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I was leery of baking it in the microwave and almost baked it in the oven but decided to follow the recipe at the last minute. I think it was a tad overdone so next time I will bake it in the oven. I used Creole mustard for the brown spicy mustard and it worked well. The mustard sauce just makes this dish. The chicken is scrumptious with it.I highly recommend this recipe as a Volunteer Field Editor for Taste of Home.