Ham and Swiss Layered Salad
Layered salads rank among the classics in the potluck hall of fame. In this one, the combination of ham, cheese, egg and bacon is like a deconstructed sandwich, making it hearty enough for a main course. —Stacy Huggins, Valley Center, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups fresh baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fully cooked ham, cut into strips
- 4 cups torn iceberg lettuce (about 1/2 head)
- 2-1/2 cups frozen petite peas (about 10 ounces), thawed, optional
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- For dressing, mix first five ingredients. In a 3-qt. or larger glass bowl, layer spinach, eggs, ham, lettuce, peas if desired, and onion. Spread with dressing. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 501 calories, 43g fat (12g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Layered Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.