Ham and Sweet Potato Salad
A friend shared this recipe with me. It's her favorite salad, and you'll see why when you try it.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 4 to 5 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups julienned fully cooked ham
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 whole fresh pineapple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange juice, honey, orange zest, salt, ginger and nutmeg. Stir in the ham, celery, apricots and sweet potatoes.
- Stand pineapple upright and cut in half vertically, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cut fruit into chunks; stir 1 cup into the salad (save remaining fruit for another use). Cover and refrigerate salad and shells for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, stir pecans into salad. Spoon into pineapple shells.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 470 calories, 35g fat (5g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Ham and Sweet Potato Salad in Country October/November 2003