Ham and Spinach Loaf
My adventures in cooking started some 30 years ago as a stay-at-home-mom. Now retired, I'm once again an "at-home" person. This is perfect when entertaining at lunch.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 pound fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread
- In a food processor, process ham until minced or ground. Transfer to a medium bowl; add mayonnaise, mustard and pistachios. Mix well; set aside. Rinse spinach in cold water. Cook in a large skillet with only water clinging to the leaves until limp; drain.
- In a food processor, process spinach, cream cheese, milk and dill until smooth; set aside. Cut bread in half lengthwise; hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) Spread spinach mixture inside top and bottom halves of bread. Pack ham mixture into bottom half, mounding slightly. Replace bread top and wrap tightly with foil. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 506 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1630mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Ham and Spinach Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook