Ham and Potato Bake
“Comfort food at its easiest,” is how Seguin, Texas cook Gianna Strauss refers to this tasty, all-in-one dinner. “I keep the ingredients on hand because my family loves it and it's so simple to prepare,” she adds. TIP: “Serve with a tossed veggie salad,” Gianna suggests.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 6 slices process American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in potatoes.
- In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture, ham and cheese. Top with remaining potato mixture and ham; spread with soup. Arrange remaining cheese strips in a lattice pattern over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 364 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 1678mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake in Quick Cooking January/February 2006