- 8 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 3 cups cubed peeled potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn, divided
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon to paper towel to drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in pan. Saute onion, celery and green pepper in dripping for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Place 2 cups corn and 1/2 cup milk in a blender and process until pureed; pour into pan. Add ham and remaining corn; simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in butter,parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce if desired and remaining milk; heat through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forHam and Corn Chowder
"The only change I made was to replace the green pepper with diced carrot. The recipe was okay, but we didn't think it was anything special. We prefer the recipe for Creamy Corn Chowder https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/creamy-corn-chowder."
"The first time I made this I made it on the stove top. Tonight I put it in my crockpot. Still so yummy. I cooked the bacon and added the drippings to the crockpot. I put everything but the milk in (I even put the bacon in) and let is go for almost 4 hours. I then added the milk and let it go for about another hour. Turned out great. Looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow!"
"Followed as written except used half whole milk and half skim. Used the butter and flour to make a roux to thicken it a little. I was able to fill 3 quart jars to freeze because there are only two of us but we both really liked it a lot. We gave it a 10 and will enjoy it again. I plan to can some for future meals. Good job and thanks for sharing."
"I used 2% milk instead of whole milk and it was excellent good dinner on a cool night for supper"
"Excellent, tasty recipe. I used sweet potatoes instead of white and cooked veggies in coconut oil instead of using bacon grease. I also used skim milk and it worked very well. I will make this again."
"This was a huge hit with everyone in my family - and a nice use of left-over ham and scalloped potatoes from Easter. Thanks!"
"Not thick enough"