Ham and Chicken Gumbo
I've always enjoyed spending time in the kitchen and worked as a home economist for a utility company in the 1940's. With two kinds of meat, this gumbo makes a hearty supper.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 drops hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon just until crisp. Add onion and cook, stirring constantly, until bacon is crisp and onion is soft. Add garlic, ham and chicken; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice.
Originally published as Ham and Chicken Gumbo in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.