Ham and Cheese Strata
Folks won't waste any time digging into this comforting all-in-one breakfast dish. The hearty combination of ham, cheese and mushrooms makes it a keeper. —Ruth Costello, Raleigh, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 12 slices day-old bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup diced pimientos
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush bread slices with melted butter. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, cheese, ham, green pepper and pimientos. Top with all the mushrooms. Repeat layers except mushrooms. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients; pour over top.
- Bake, covered, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 246 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 616mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Egg Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.