Ham and Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound process American cheese, cubed
- Popped popcorn, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper. Add ham; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese; reduce heat. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil). Garnish serving with popcorn if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 392 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1492mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2013
I thought that this was a great tasting and quick soup. The ham and cheese flavor is very tasty and my kids really enjoyed it. Paired with rolls, it's a great meal. It also comes together very quickly, which I like.
Jan 12, 2011
I would use hamburger in place of ham next time. Also, I wouldn't use as much garlic.