Ham and Cheese Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound process American cheese, cubed
- Popped popcorn, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion, celery, carrot, parsley and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper. Add ham; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add broth and milk; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese; reduce heat. Cook and stir until cheese is melted (do not boil). Garnish serving with popcorn if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 392 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 1492mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Dec 30, 2013
I thought that this was a great tasting and quick soup. The ham and cheese flavor is very tasty and my kids really enjoyed it. Paired with rolls, it's a great meal. It also comes together very quickly, which I like.
Jan 12, 2011
I would use hamburger in place of ham next time. Also, I wouldn't use as much garlic.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.