- 3 cups uncooked bow tie pasta
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding asparagus during the last 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; add garlic. Stir in the flour, onion powder, pepper and thyme until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat. Add cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in ham; heat through. Drain pasta and asparagus; toss with cheese mixture.