Ham and Bean Tomato Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup dried navy beans
- 1-1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 6 cups water
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried thyme, white pepper and Liquid Smoke
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1. Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch over or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, place ham hocks and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour. Add beans; simmer 1 hour longer or until meat and beans are tender. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Remove ham hocks. Cover and refrigerate ham hocks and soup.
- 3. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Set meat aside. Remove fat from broth. Return broth with the beans and meat to pan. Add the celery, carrots, onion and green beans. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasonings; cook for 10 minutes. Add cabbage; cook 35 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 7 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 269 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 1121mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 10g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Ham and Bean Tomato Soup
"This soup is really good. The Liquid Smoke, thyme, and white pepper give it a kick you're not expecting. Great source of protein, too."