Ham and Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Cook: 3 hours
Makes18 servings (4-1/2 quarts)
- 1 package (20 ounces) 16-bean soup mix
- 5 quarts water, divided
- 1 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 2 fully cooked bratwurst links, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Rinse dry beans and place in a Dutch oven with 3 qts. of water. Bring to a boil; boil for 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans. Return to pan; add remaining water and the next 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beans are almost tender.
- Add tomatoes and chilies; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1076mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 12g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2018
I have made this soup for years since first seeing it in a TOH magazine. The only change I make is using turkey smoked sausage instead of bratwurst. My New Year's guests look forward to it every year. One year, we were out of town and there was no time to make it before the party. One of my friends offered to make it instead! Great soup!