Ham and Bean Bake Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- CORN BREAD TOPPING:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion, green pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in ham, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, mustard, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the milk, egg and oil; stir in corn. Add to cornmeal mixture just until combined.
- 2. Transfer the hot bean mixture to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Drop corn bread batter by spoonful over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and a toothpick inserted near the center of topping comes out clean. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 435 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1509mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Ham and Bean Bake
"I made this for my boyfriend who loved it. Ten years later we are happily married and he still requests this simple and delicious recipe. When I have guests, I turn to his recipe for an impressive dish that pleases."