We eat this tasty casserole often, so I like to change the ingredients now and then. I'll double the amount of rosemary, substitute green beans or broccoli for asparagus or use chicken instead of ham.—Kea Fisher, Bridger, Montana
Recommended: 70 Incredible 5-Star Pasta Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated onion
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Rinse with cold water; drain. Meanwhile in a large saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add asparagus. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, toss spaghetti with eggs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spread into two greased 2-qt. baking dishes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the evaporated milk, milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, onion, mustard, parsley and rosemary. Stir in cheddar cheese and remaining Parmesan until blended.
- Sprinkle ham and asparagus over spaghetti crust. Pour cheese sauce over top. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
Originally published as Ham and Asparagus Casserole in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p156
Reviews forHam and Asparagus Spaghetti Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 24, 2017
"Lovely dish, and everyone loved it. Next time will layer ingredients twice. pasta, ham and asparagus, cheese sauce, then again."
Reviewed May. 10, 2015
"Fabulous! Great flavor, nice and creamy."