- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus or 1 pound fresh asparagus, 1/2-inch cuts
- 4 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 cup grated American cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1 cup cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- On stovetop or in a microwave oven, blanch asparagus cuts in covered dish for 3 minutes; drain thoroughly. In a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine asparagus, eggs and ham; sprinkle tapioca evenly over all. Add the cheese, green pepper, onion and parsley; mix gently. In a small bowl, blend the lemon juice, cream and soup; add to casserole and mix thoroughly. Mix topping ingredients; sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHam and Asparagus Casserole
"Very good! No change to recipe."
"Made this today and it was really good. I didn't pre-cook my fresh asparagus and it was perfect. I was a little generous with my ingredients, so I added a whole can of soup and 3/4 cup of milk, along with another tablespoon of tapioca to thicken it all up. It was delicious."
"Made this with fresh asparagus from the garden and diced ham frozen from Easter. Great flavor blend and we went back for seconds. Can't wait to make this for the grown kids and grandkids."
"Made this tonight for DH and I. I did make a few changes to the recipe........Instead of Velveeta, I used about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I added about 1/4 cup of French's Fried Onions to the casserole and instead of the bread crumbs and butter.....I garnished the top of the casserole with more of the French fried onions...(the ones used for Green Bean casserole). I put the onions over the casserole in the last 7 minutes of the bake time. Oh...I also added one can of french cut green beans! Can't wait to make this again! It would be great for a brunch also!"
"This is so warm and filling and tastes great, a nice winters dish"