Ham, Red beans and Rice Recipe
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) spicy stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 5 dashes hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In large saucepan, combine all ingredients except rice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Serve over rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 118 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Ham, Red beans and Rice
"I used red kidney beans and a can of diced tomatoes with chilies. I did use ham-sliced fully cooked deli ham which I'd cut in shreds. This dish is delicious! Normally, I do NOT go much for kidney beans/red beans! delowenstein"
"I made a smaller portion using only one can of red beans in case it didn't turn out well. However, my picky husband loved this meal. I used leftover ham from a baked ham. I did not have any cumin, so I did without it. I also substituted the hot pepper sauce with a dash of Silvia's Sizzlin' Hot Spice. My husband literally licked his plate clean."