I've been serving this chowder for years now. When I want to make it dairy-free for my dairy-free family members, I switch out butter for oil, and coconut milk or soy creamer for heavy cream and it still turns out great! —Eileen Stefanski, Wales, Wisconsin
Recommended: 80 Recipes for Serious Potato Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 2 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, cooked and crumbled bacon, minced fresh chives and sour cream
- Place potatoes and 2 cups broth in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Cool slightly. Transfer to a food processor; cover and process until smooth.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat; saute red and green peppers, onion and carrot until carrot is tender, 8-10 minutes. Add ham, jalapeno and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in pureed potatoes and remaining broth; bring just to a boil. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot soup into egg yolk and cream; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Serve with toppings as desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Ham, Potato and Pepper Chowder in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Reviews forHam, Potato and Pepper Chowder
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 5, 2018
"Needs a bit more flavor."