Ham 'n' Swiss Pie Mix Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (FOR EACH PIE):
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 6 batches (about 6 cups mix).
- 2. To prepare pie: In a bowl, combine the ham, cheese and onions. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, mustard, pepper and 1 cup mix; beat just until blended. Pour over ham mixture. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: Contents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
1 slice: 326 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 156mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Ham 'n' Swiss Pie Mix
"seriously!? Obviously you have too much time on your hands."
"You may want to "store" the mix in an airtight container instead of "stirring" it in an airtight container, and during the prep of the pie you may want to "transfer" the ham, cheese, and onions to a greased 9" pie plate instead of "trasher" it to the pie plate. Otherwise, this works well. Thanks, Carol"