These one-of-a-kind sandwiches are a new twist on traditional ham and cheese sandwiches without a lot of extra work. Prepared spaghetti sauce provides a tasty dipping sauce.
Recommended: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 4 slices (1 ounce each) fully cooked ham
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, warmed
- On four slices of bread, layer with provolone cheese, ham, then cheese. Top with remaining bread.
- In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, then into crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet over low heat, cook sandwiches in butter for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cheese Melts in Country Pork 1996, p24
Reviews forHam 'n' Cheese Melts
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 1, 2011
"Was nicely surprised by the taste of finished product."