"I like to serve these tasty twists for lunch with split pea or vegetable soup and a fruit salad," says Marie Kramer, Kirkwood, Missouri. The cheese-enhanced biscuits filled with homemade or deli ham salad also make great snacks.
Recommended: 22 Leftover Ham Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup ham salad or 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) deviled ham spread
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll into a 10-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- Spread ham salad over half of dough. Fold dough over to form a 5-in. x 6-in. rectangle; seal edges with water. cut into six 1-in. strips. Twist strips and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cheese Biscuit Twists in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p11