Carolyn Bixenmann of Grand Island, Nebraska writes, “I tasted a soup similar to this in a restaurant and liked it so much I spent the entire next week trying to duplicate it. I came up with this, and now it's one of my family's favorites.”
Recommended: 56 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small head cabbage, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, halved
- 2/3 cup butter
- 7 cups milk, divided
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a food processor, shred the cabbage. Transfer to a bowl. Shred the carrots; add to cabbage. Return half of the mixture to the food processor; cover and process until finely chopped.
- In a Dutch oven, saute all of the cabbage and carrots in butter for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 5 cups milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine the flour, salt and remaining milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add ham and Liquid Smoke if desired. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Ham 'n' Cabbage Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p45
Reviews forHam 'n' Cabbage Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2012
"Really bland,I added some spices."