- 3/4 pound fully cooked ham, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute ham, onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender. Add the next seven ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add peas and cook for 5 minutes. Add parsley. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews forHam, Bean and Potato Soup
"Wonderful soup. Had an extra ham shank that I threw in the pot. Used only water. Didn't need any additional seasoning, as the broth was very flavorful. Not a pea person, so skipped those. Watching calories, so skipped butter and used a EVOO spray to saute vegetables."
"This was a great recipe for a cold day. I didn't have celery so I used a can of cream of celery. Very yummy."
"This soup is delicious. I double the recipe."
"husband and I enjoyed"
"Great flavor. My husband isn't a huge fan of beans, but he really enjoyed this. I was in a hurry, so I only added the potatoes for the veggies, and had extra ham so put that in too. I also left out the butter and used chicken bullion cubes to make broth."
"It's a winner! It is easy to make and delicious tasting. Thanks."