No one will be able to resist the classic trio of ham, Swiss and potatoes in this comforting bake. It was the result of creative experimentation when I wanted to use up ingredients I had on hand. I sometimes replace the ham with turkey ham. —Sarah Wilham, Elkhart, Illinois
Featured In: 38 Make-Ahead Meals for Your Busy Family
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 large potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/3 cups roasted red pepper Alfredo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in Alfredo sauce and seasonings; heat through.
Drain potatoes; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with ham, cheese and sauce. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 18-22 minutes or until topping is golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare recipe as directed, layering ham, cheese and sauce in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Prepare crumb topping; sprinkle over top. Bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Ham and Swiss Potato Casserole in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p189