I like to serve these kabobs with a green salad for an easy, thrifty meal. The buttery, brown sugar marinade highlights everything on the skewer. —Sandra Hill, Wilson, New York
Recommended: 45 Surprising Foods You Can (and Should!) Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 pound fully cooked boneless ham, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut into 3/4-in. slices
- 1 large apple, cubed
- Place sweet potato in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and set aside.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a small bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar and reserved juice. Place the ham, squash, apples, sweet potato and pineapple in a large resealable plastic bag; add the juice mixture. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. On four metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread the ham, sweet potato, squash, apples and pineapple. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender, turning occasionally. Yield: 4 kabobs.
Originally published as Ham & Sweet Potato Kabobs for 2 in Taste of Home