- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Minced chives and coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Place potatoes and baking soda in a large saucepan. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 6-8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup potato water.
- In same pan, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in milk and reserved potato water. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until melted. Stir in ham and potatoes; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with chives and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forHam & Cheese Chowder
"This soup was very good, however I added double the amount of each cheese. Great for leftover ham. It will warm you up on a cold day."