Halloween Night Cookie Puzzle Recipe
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Unblanched almonds
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- Assorted food coloring, decorating gels, sprinkles and candies
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cookie dough and flour. On a parchment paper-lined surface, roll dough into a 14x11-in. rectangle. With Halloween cookie cutters, cut out puzzle shapes but do not remove them. Slide a baking sheet under the parchment paper and dough. Chill for 5-10 minutes.
- 2. Remove shapes; place on an ungreased baking sheet. For handles, press the side of an almond into the center of each puzzle shape. Bake shapes at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are golden brown. While still warm, recut shapes with the same cookie cutters to form neat edges. (If cookies cool too quickly, return to oven until softened.) Remove to wire racks; cool.
- 3. Bake large rectangular puzzle on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for 12-13 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately recut the shapes inside the puzzle to form neat edges. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, corn syrup and water until smooth. Tint frosting with food coloring as desired. Frost puzzle and shapes; decorate with decorating gel, sprinkles and candies as desired. Place puzzle shapes inside puzzle. Yield: 1 cookie puzzle.
Reviews for Halloween Night Cookie Puzzle
"This was interesting, not too difficult. We didn't frost everything separately, just did white and black."
"This is a Halloween tradition. We design it differently each year (3rd year)."
"This is a great idea. I made it with my preschool-aged grandchildren. We plan on adpting one for Christmas and Easter."