Halloween Feet Loaf
If Bigfoot pays a visit this Halloween, treat him to a larger-than-life meal. This "feet loaf" tastes just like your favorite home-style meatloaf. It will have enormous appeal with believers and nonbelievers alike. —Susan Seymour, Valatie, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 10 thin slices
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, celery and green pepper; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with foil; grease foil. Place bread crumbs in a large bowl. Stir in egg, milk, seasonings and carrot mixture. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into two feet with indentations for toes.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Position carrot slices on loaves for toenails. In a small bowl, mix ketchup and vinegar; brush half over meat loaf. Bake 20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Brush with remaining mixture; bake 5 minutes longer.