A chocolate drizzle sprinkled with crushed candy makes ordinary caramel apples especially yummy—like the fancy ones in some candy shops. Be sure to start with the apples at room temperature so the caramel won’t slip off like it tends to on chilled apples.
Recommended: 25 Fun Halloween Treats
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 large tart apples, room temperature
- 8 Popsicle sticks
- 3 to 4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely crushed
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth and set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl, microwave the caramels and water, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer or until caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each; dip into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars. Refrigerate until set. Remove from the refrigerator 5 minutes before serving; cut into wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Halloween Caramel Apples in Taste of Home October/November 2005, p23