Halibut with Bacon
From Ocala, Florida, Pat Hockett writes, "This can be an easy weeknight meal or part of an elegant dinner. I'm always looking for different ways to use the fish and crab in our freezer."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 halibut steaks (6 ounces each)
- 8 bacon strips
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients. Add halibut; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes, turning once.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until cooked but not crisp. Drain on paper towels. Drain and discard marinade. Wrap two slices of bacon over the top and sides of each steak; secure with soaked wooden toothpicks.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Discard toothpicks.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 301 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Halibut Steaks Wrapped in Bacon in Taste of Home June/July 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.