Halibut Chowder Recipe
- 8 to 10 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds halibut or salmon fillets, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add soups, milk and cream cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Bring to a boil. Stir in fish, carrots and corn. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily and the vegetables are tender. Add cayenne pepper if desired. Yield: 16 servings (about 4 quarts).
1 cup: 198 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 399mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Halibut Chowder
"This was good but not as flavorful as I would like (especially to justify this many calories!). I did add potatoes and used fresh carrots both of which I added just after the garlic and cooked for a few minutes before adding the soups in order to make sure they cooked through."
"Excellent tasting, made it twice! However, the second time I added the carrots much earlier otherwise they don't cook thoroughly. Just a suggestion for anyone making this."