Hale Lani Strawberry French Toast
"Our guests love this dish and write about it in our guest books. I like to make it extra special by topping it with butter I shaped into palm tree, flower and leaf shapes." Ruth Johnson, Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Hawaiian sweet bread
- 6 Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Confectioners' sugar and maple syrup
- Place strawberries in a small bowl; sprinkle with sugar. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Slice strawberries and divide between two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes; set aside.
- Cut bread into 20 slices. In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Dip bread in egg mixture. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook French toast in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Place over strawberries in prepared dishes.
- Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 290 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Hale Lani Strawberry French Toast in Taste of Home February/March 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.