Haddock and Potato Chowder
When we bought a set of pots and pans about 30 years ago, we found a recipe book containing this gem stashed in the box. Living in New England, we love fish in any dish, and we especially enjoy this chowder when there’s a chill in the air. —Margaret Jean, Ayer, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 2/3 cup condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 1/2 pound haddock fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Oyster crackers, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute the bacon, onion and celery until vegetables are tender. Add the soup, water, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Add haddock; cover and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Stir in milk and butter; heat through. Serve with oyster crackers if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 285 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 93mg cholesterol, 883mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Fish Chowder in Reminisce Extra September 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.