VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons Sofrito
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope Goya sazon with coriander and annatto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, cook Sofrito in oil over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water, beans, potatoes, tomato sauce, sazon, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Habichuelas (Red Beans) in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p104