Gyro-Style Turkey Pitas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons prepared ranch salad dressing
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cucumber
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
- Shredded lettuce
- In a large skillet, cook the turkey, onion, sauerkraut, brown sugar and salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and salad dressing. Stir in tomato and cucumber. Fill pita halves with turkey mixture, lettuce and sauce.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 614 calories, 35g fat (11g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 965mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 23, 2012
husband and I love this!
May 18, 2011
These were really good! I think one pita half would be plenty, especially if served with side dishes. I had lots of left over sauce, but it will make a great dip for veggies! Thanks for the recipe!
Feb 22, 2011
Easy, nice blend of flavors. Would definitely make again. Add an apple on the side, glass of milk and dinner is complete.
Aug 19, 2010
The whole family loved these!
Apr 10, 2010
Oh my! These were so good! My family and I had a lot of fun making them and would definitely try them again soon!
Mar 21, 2010
We substituted ground beef for the ground turkey because we had it on hand. This was an excellent quick dinner and my husband and I both loved it!
Feb 20, 2010
Don't be scared off by the sauerkraut - it adds flavor and moistness to the meat. Very tasty and quick to make. My husband loved it. I used ground chicken because it was on sale this week and substituted reduced-fat sour cream and mayo to save some calories. Definitely a recipe we'll have again.
Feb 18, 2010
I thought at first that the indgredients sounded wierd, but I was wrong, this was sooo good. My husband had 2 of them and my 6 year old daughter even asked for seconds. I left out the tomato and cucumber, and added some shredded cheese. Very tasty and easy to make.